The King William Cultural Arts Committee has started work on the next walking tour brochure, to cover the area between the San Antonio River and South Flores Street. The map below shows the area as it looked in 1886. At the bottom is the SA&AP railroad depot, now replaced with the Salvation Army building.
Here is a brief history of one of the houses:
Joseph and Louisa Dukes purchased 228 Daniel from Nat Lewis in 1904 for $575. After building this Victorian Style house with a wraparound porch and classical fluted columns, the Dukes sold it to James M. Steyers in 1909 for $3,000. Steyers, who worked in real estate, died in 1914; Nannie Steyers sold the property in 1921 to Juan Rodriguez, a pecan dealer who was living at 105 Frasch Street, for $4,500.
When Rodriguez purchased the house there was a detached building on the property which he used for his pecan shelling business. The second floor of the house was reached by outdoor stairs and served as storage. The stairs were eventually removed and the second floor has remained as storage. Descendants of Mr. Rodriguez still own and reside in the house today. According to the family, the paint colors have never been changed from the white with light and dark green trim.
UTSA graduate student Michael Carroll is conducting the research for the brochure, and when the project is finished he will give a presentation of his findings at one of our monthly general meetings.
- Cherise Bell