The National Park Service (NPS) celebrated its 100th birthday on August 25, 1916. President Wilson signed the bill to create this federal bureau in the Department of the Interior. One purpose of the NPS is to “conserve the scenery of the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.” (nps.gov/aboutus/history)

When the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 was created 50 years later, the NPS became responsible for the administration of the National Register of Historic Places. The NHRP will celebrate its 50th birthday on October 15. “The National Register is the official Federal list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. National Register properties have significance to the history of their community, state, or the nation.” (nps.gov/aboutus/history)

Three National Register Historic Districts are located within the boundaries of the King William Association: the U.S. San Antonio Arsenal listed in 1969, King William listed in 1972, and S. Alamo-S. St. Mary’s Streets listed in 1984. - Cherise Bell