The following information is from the City of San Antonio Office of Historic Preservation.
The United States Arsenal in San Antonio, established in 1859, includes six main buildings: an office building, commanding officer's quarters, servants' quarters, a stable, a magazine building and a storehouse. These buildings are located on grounds bounded by South Flores Street on the west, East Arsenal Street on the south, the San Antonio River on the east, and private property on the north. South Main Street cuts the arsenal site almost in half with the commanding officer's quarters, servants' quarters, office building and storehouse located west of Main Street. The remaining buildings are located on the eastern half of the arsenal grounds. In 1985, H. E. Butt Grocery Company (H.E.B.) bought ten acres of the Arsenal complex, rehabilitated the existing buildings, and moved their corporate headquarters to San Antonio from Corpus Christi, Texas. New limestone buildings have been constructed to meet the corporation’s needs while complementing the historic character of the remaining arsenal buildings.